Flying with an infant can be a daunting task, and might cause some anxiety for many people. To make things easier, we’ve compiled a list of tips and tricks to make flying with your little one easier and less stressful!!
A FEW TIPS WHEN TRAVELING WITH AN INFANT
- Allow yourself more to get through security and to get to your gate
- Pack a diaper bag that has the following:
- 1 diaper per every hour of traveling plus a few extra
- Changing pad
- Blankets (a couple of them just in case they get dirty)
- Extra change of clothes (weather appropriate)
- A bag to put soiled clothing in
- Pacifier if your baby takes one
- Hand sanitizer
- A few favorite toys
- Easy snacks depending on baby’s age
- Sippy/bottle of water or juice
- Extra pre-made small bottles
- Baby carrier (if you have a baby carrier like an Ergobaby or Baby K’Tan it will help you get through the airport easier.)
- You can check your stroller and car seat (either at the gate or at the check-in counter). That way your hands are freed up to take care of you baby!
- Plan on feeding your baby when taking off and landing to help with pressure in the ear
- If traveling with a partner, have them pre-board with the bags while you walk around with your little one in the terminal. This will help prevent them for getting bored having to sit still on the aircraft.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help from the airlines. If you need to heat up a bottle or food they would be more than happy to help.
- Play games with your baby to keep them entertained
- Allow yourself more time to get through security and to get to your gate
Overall traveling with a little one can be hard but take a deep breath and you will do great! You’re not the first person to travel with an infant. Most people will understand that you are doing your best to keep your baby happy. You can only do so much so don’t be too hard on yourself! Every child is different. It’s trial and error. Your first trip will always be the most challenging! Don’t hesitate to ask our staff for advice. We’re more than happy to help!