Let’s face it. If you’ve explored the world of Graco rear-facing infant car seats, you’ve probably discovered that there are SO many. Why so many? It’s so confusing?!? Well, in this blog, we’ll break down the current models, showing the differences in two easy to read graphs so you can focus more on the features that matter to your family and make an informed decision.
Being a child passenger safety tech though, I have to add that Graco does not reinforce any of their infant seat bases with steel (versus some other brands at comparable prices). Does this matter? Keep in mind that all Graco seats meet or exceed all national certifications for car seat safety, but the addition of a steel-reinforced frame adds weight and extra stability to your seat in the event of a collision.
Let’s Break It Down!
All In Common
Before we chat differences, let’s chat about some features that come standard with all Graco rear-facing infant seats.
- Energy Absorbing Foam: Helps take away forces from the impact to keep baby safer.
- Adjustable Base: Most Graco rear-facing infant bases will have 4 adjustable positions to ensure you get the correct angle when installing in your vehicle. In addition, some rear-facing infant seats will have 5.
- Level Indicator: Whether it be a bubble indicator or a line, it will guide you and make sure your seat is installed at the proper angle for use in your vehicle.
- Click Connect: Allows you to easily and quickly “click” in your seat to any Graco stroller (or infant base) and build your own travel system.
Safety Features of Graco Rear Facing Infant Seats
Here’s a few explanations of what all these features mean:
- Anti-Rebound Bar: The ARB is a bar on your car seat base that adds an additional level of safety during an impact by limiting the rotation on your child and your seat.
- Extended Rear-Facing: This is a 4-position extension panel that adds 3.5″ of additional legroom, thus allowing your baby to ride longer and more safely in a rear-facing position.
- Safety Surround Side Impact Protection: An additional, thick layer of side impact protection near your baby’s head that is adjustable to make sure it is perfectly aligned with your child’s head and shoulders to provide added safety.
- TrueShield Side Impact Protection: An additional, thick layer of side impact protection surrounding your baby’s head, shoulders and hips to offer added protection.
- InRight LATCH: Larger, easy to use, modern LATCH connectors that feature a push-button release. [The traditional LATCH on other models is a hook mechanism.]
- SnugLock Technology: This added feature ensures a tight fit every time while using either your vehicle’s seat belt or the LATCH system. Simply tighten up the slack on either the seat belt or LATCH (whichever way you choose to install), fold down the lever and listen for the click!
The Differences Between Graco Rear Facing Infant Seats
|Anti-Rebound Bar||Energy Absorbing Base||Extended Rear Facing||Safety Surround SIP||TruShield Advanced SIP||InRight LATCH||SnugLock||Height + Weight|
|SnugRide/SnugLock 35 Platinum||*||*||*||4-35lbs, 32″|
|SnugRide/SnugLock 35 Platinum XT||*||*||*||*||4-35lbs, 32″|
|SnugRide/SnugLock 35 Elite||*||*||*||*||4-35lbs, 32″|
|SnugRide/SnugLock 30||*||4-30lbs, 30″|
|SnugRide/SnugLock 35 LX||*||*||4-35lbs, 32″|
|SnugRide/SnugLock 35 LX w/TruShield||*||*||*||4-35lbs, 32″|
|SnugRide/SnugLock Extend2Fit 35||*||*|
|SnugRide/SnugLock Extend2Fit 35 LX||*||*||*||*||4-35lbs, 35″|
|SnugRide/SnugLock 35 XT||*||4-35lbs, 32″|
|SnugRide/SnugFit 35 LX||*||*||4-35lbs, 32″|
|SnugRide/SnugFit 35 DLX||*||*||*||4-35lbs, 32″|
|SnugRide/SnugFit 35 DLX + SafetySurround|
|SnugRide 35 Lite LX||*||4-35lbs, 32″|
|SnugRide 35 Lite||*||4-35lbs, 32″|
|SnugRide/SnugFit 35||*||4-35lbs, 32″|
|SnugRide/SnugFit 35 Elite||*||*||*||4-35lbs, 32″|
Let’s chat about what all the features mean first.
- Infant Head and Body Support Pillows: Provide additional support and comfort to your baby when they are the tiniest.
- Harness Covers: These soft covers help make the shoulder straps more comfortable where they lay on baby’s body.
- All-Weather Boot: The boot is easily removable and helps keeps baby comfortable in colder climates.
- Silent Shade Canopy: Canopy adjusts quietly without waking baby.
- 1-Hand Adjustable Handle: Helps getting baby in and out a breeze by allowing you to adjust the carry handle with one hand.
- No-Rethread Harness: Allows you to adjust the head piece and shoulder straps easily with the push of a button (without having to take the entire harness apart.)
- Easy to Remove Seat Pad: The RapidRemove™️ system allows you to remove your entire seat pad in under 60 seconds without have to uninstall the seat – making clean ups a breeze!
- Expandable Canopy: Larger canopy for added protection from the elements.
|Infant Support Pillows||Harness Covers||All-Weather Boot||Silent Shade Canopy||1-Hand Adjustable Handle||No-Rethread Harness||Easy to Remove Seat Pad||Expandable Canopy|
|SnugRide/SnugLock 35 Platinum||*||*||*|
|SnugRide/SnugLock 35 Platinum XT||*||*||*||*||*||*||*|
|SnugRide/SnugLock 35 Elite||*||*||*||*||*|
|SnugRide/SnugLock 35 LX||*||*||*||*|
|SnugRide/SnugLock 35 LX w/TruShield||*||*||*||*|
|SnugRide/SnugLock Extend2Fit 35||*||*||*||*|
|SnugRide/SnugLock Extend2Fit 35 LX||*||*||*||*||*||*||*|
|SnugRide/SnugLock 35 XT||*||*||*|
|SnugRide/SnugFit 35 LX||*||*||*||*||*|
|SnugRide/SnugFit 35 DLX||*||*||*||*||*||*||*|
|SnugRide/SnugFit 35 DLX + SafetySurround||*||*||*||*||*||*||*|
|SnugRide 35 Lite LX||*|
|SnugRide 35 Lite||*|
|SnugRide/SnugFit 35 Elite||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*|
PHEW! That’s a ton of information! Take your time to go through the charts and decide which features matter the most to you. That will help you dwindle down the options (and stay sane!)
Once you decide which seat you want, make sure it’s installed properly with these tips and more!
- What type of car seat should my child be in?
- How to find the expiration date on your car seat?
- The TOP 6 car seat installation mistakes.
- What’s the difference between all the Graco convertible car seats?